French Revolution A block
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Estate General's Return

2 posters

Go down

The Estate General's Return Empty The Estate General's Return

Post  KylePick Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 am

As the year of 1788 was almost over, France was still on the edge of turmoil. Rampages for bread were running wild and some nobles denounced royal tyranny because of a fear of taxes. Finally, Louis XVI decided to call the Estates General to Versialles the following year. In the meeting, Louis asked all the three estates to prepare cahiers listing the reforms the unfortunate citizens of the country wished to make. Most were simply quite obvious, some were fairer taxes, freedom of the press and regular meetings of the Estates General. I was a delegate of the Third Estate at this time for the same reason almost all of other men were, to solve the financial problem and make reforms. We convened on May 1789, and from the start we had major arguements. We were unhappy with the old way of voting because votes were counted by groups so the First and Second states always outvoted us by 2-1, so we wanted to solve the voting problem by counting votes by head instead. Through the following weeks of debate, we claimed we represented all the people of our mighty nation and we now called ourselves the National Assembly, we then invited other delegates from other estates (this decision I was not truly exited about) to make a constitution. When we found our meeting hall locked just days after, we moved to an indoor tennis court where we took the Tennis Court Oath, in which we stated we would continue to meet until we had formed a constitution. Had I known the events that would follow, I might have withdrew before it was too late.

Last edited by KylePick on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

KylePick

Back to top Go down

The Estate General's Return Empty hello chandler

Post  historyablock1 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:59 pm

You have one reply.

historyablock1

Back to top Go down